Destiny 2 is here, and with it comes a ton of changes to our favorite classes. We are going to take an in-depth look at these changes, compare them to O.G. Destiny, and give you all the tips and tricks to make sure you’re at your best, right from the start.
That is, unless you’re viewing this after already playing it… in which case it would be playing at your best, right after you’re done reading this. Yeah, let’s just go with that.
Stormcaller Rift Skill
- Healing Rift – conjure a well of Light that continually heals those inside it.
- Empowering Rift – conjure a well of Light that increases weapon damage for those inside it.
Same class ability but thanks to arc soul in the attunement of elements passive tree, it’s a heck of a lot better for Stormcallers. Regardless of which one you use, you will still get arc soul with it and greatly help out your entire team. Healing rift is most likely going to be your go to, since empowering takes a bit more planning and can still backfire on you so definitely use it for the crucible unless your team has a well thought strategy to get the best out of your empowering rift.
Stormcaller Jump Abilities
- Strafe Glide – jump while airborne to activate glide and start an airborne drift with better directional control.
- Burst Glide – jump while airborne to activate glide and start an airborne drift with a strong initial boost of speed.
- Blink – jump while airborne teleport a short distance.
Same jumps all around for Warlocks but they do have the unique blink jump. Blink is hard to use and easy to screw up but if you practice with it enough and learn it well than you will have a nice advantage in the crucible. Blink allows you to get close in on enemies for quick shotgun kills and makes you a really hard target to hit. If you don’t want to master blink than either jump works just fine.
- Stormtrance – Summon Arc Lightning in your hands. Fire repeated blasts of Arc Lightning from your hands at your enemies
Stormtrance is a roaming super and it does way more damage than you’d think. You can easily take out the whole team, especially if you go with the attunement of ions passive tree. Transcendence will make it last longer and heal you if your grenade and melee ability is not on a cooldown. With attunement of the elements you get a nice shockwave on cast that helps with popping your super when enemies are on you, it’s very easy to pop your super when you’re too vulnerable and dying instantly; but not with this ability. Stormtrance has a nice range too so you don’t have to get too close to take down the enemy team and are rather hard to kill throughout.
- Arcbolt Grenade – Chains bolts of lightning to nearby enemies.
- Pulse Grenade – Periodically damages enemies inside its explosion radius.
- Storm Grenade – Calls down a focused lightning storm.
We got pretty lucky with grenades this time around since pulse grenade is arguably the best grenade in the entire game. Pulse use to be a decent grenade in Destiny 1 but with Destiny 2, pulsing grenades do way more damage and will kill multiple opponents in two pulses; and all the rest in no more than 3. It’s very easy to toss it around and accidentally take out a few guardians, perhaps the entire team. Arcbolt will chain to other enemies that are close enough together but it’s not enough to kill anyone unless their already hurt. Storm is a decent aoe grenade but just not as strong as pulse and with pulse not being any more difficult to use than the other two, you’re just going to want to go with pulse for all your crucible and trials runs.
Attunement of Ions
- Chain Lightning – Deliver an electrocuting Arc melee strike at extended range that chains from the struck target to another enemy nearby.
- Transcendence – When cast with full grenade and melee energy, Stormtrance lasts longer and fully restores health.
- Arc Web – Enemies Damaged by your grenades chain deadly lightning to nearby enemies.
- Ionic Blink – Press the Sprint button to teleport during Stormtrance.
Ions is your best tree for raw damage and getting kills in the crucible. Your melee and grenades now have an extra chain of lightning that will greatly help with multi-kills and getting the absolute best damage possible out of your pulse grenades. On top of that you can now blink around the map during Stormtrance and get to your enemies way easier. The icing on the cake, transcendence lets your Stormtrance last even longer and fully restore health. The best thing to do here is line up your melee/grenade cooldowns with your super; if your grenades are close to popping and Stormtrance is as well, then it’s best to just wait it out and get the most out of your super.
Attunement of the Elements
- Gale Force – This electrocuting Melee Ability hits at extended range and recharges your Super, grenade, and melee energy.
- Landfall – On casting Stormtrance, fire a bolt of lightning into the ground, creating a devastating shockwave under you.
- Rising Storm – Your Rift charges faster when allies are near.
- Arc Soul – Your Rift now grants you or any ally who uses it an Arc Soul to aid you in battle.
Elements will be your utility and team based tree. With this tree, we are given arc soul which is incredibly helpful in everything; including crucible. Arc soul will give you and all your allies who touch your rift, a little orb that fires at enemies and drops their shields. It’s extra dps and damage in crucible and will make it a heck of a lot easier to push and win out firefights. To add to this, rising storm lets our rift charge even faster so long as we are close to our allies and our melee has extra range and recharges our super, grenade and melee. Having a ranged melee is a big help on its own and the extra recharge makes it even better.
Stormcaller is super strong in both utility and damage. They are possibly the strongest warlock subclass this time around; if not at least on par with Voidwalker. We have one of the easiest roaming supers to get kills with and whether you go with ions or elements for a passive tree; both are really great. Depending on your playstyle and team, you can stay grouped up and use your arc soul to give your entire team an edge or if solo queuing you can go full damage and make your super last even longer and get some extra chain-arc damage with your abilities. Just remember to use those pulse grenades and take advantage of your range with both your super and melee ability.